Our classes are both for beginners and people who already have some experience with ceramics. If you want to explore your creative-side in a relaxed environment with some friends (or make new friends along the way!) this is the space for you.
We help you discover different methods and techniques, while encouraging you to be creative at your own pace. Start out by making a gift for a friend or family member, and end up joining us at one of the annual potters’ markets. Every now and then we surprise a class with a fun group project exploring one of the following set methods of pottery/ceramics at our clay space:
- Press molds: Using template molds to shape pots from a slab of clay
- Pinch pots: Forming pots with your bare hands, pinching a ball of clay into shape
- Burnishing: Polishing a raw pot to a smooth surface with a hard object
- Slab Building: Form an object by joining slabs together
- Wheel work: Throwing clay on a potter’s wheel
- Casting: Using or making plaster molds to cast identical shapes from liquid clay
- Decorating: Using slips, carving, underglazes and oxides for decoration
- Glazing: Commercial and locally developed glazes are used to form a glass layer on clay
What to Expect
Instead of following a structured training program we rather facilitate your ceramic experience within our home-based studio. We will introduce and guide you through all the processes (as mentioned above) to the extent that you desire.
We supply all raw materials: different clay types, paints, glazes. You also don’t have to bring any tools or equipment as we stock basic tool kits with additional specialized gear. These include: stencils, banding wheels, aprons, and more. Our larger equipment currently includes: an electric kiln, two potters wheels, and a slab roller.
To help you stay productive and creative, while keeping a casual and social atmosphere, we also offer coffee, tea, and hot chocolate during class times, as well as ever-so-often put on some nice music!
As we facilitate the whole shabang in a casual setting, we only ask that each person leave their workspace neat and tidy before heading home. You don’t need any knowledge or experience only passion and a willingness to explore your creativity.
We operate on a pay per hour basis of R70 per hour which includes all tools, decorating materials and firings. The only additional fee is the clay itself which has a price difference depending on the clay type you choose to use. There is no need to work-in missed classes and you can attend as many classes per week as you want.
- Tuesday: 16:00 – 19:00; 18:00 – 21:00
- Thursday: 16:00 – 19:00; 18:00 – 21:00
- Friday: 09:00 – 12:00
- Saturday: 09:00 – 12:00